Questions about hearing aids

Moderator: Vandaar

Questions about hearing aids

Postby Babygirls mom » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi all,

I don't usually post in this area, but wondered if anyone here has had experience with hearing aids.

Our daughter, who is eighteen, has NF 1, but has tumors in her left ear, leaving her with about a 30% diminished hearing in that ear. She is trying a hearing aid, and today was the first day for her to wear it. She is disappointed in the results, as she says that it makes everything sound like a 'speaker' in her ear. Is there anything I can tell her to encourage her to continue to give it a try? After several years of diminished hearing, I am thinking that she is not used to being able to hear so well in that ear. Can anyone share some experiences with hearing aids? Thank you so much!

Becky
Babygirls mom

Re: Questions about hearing aids

Postby Russtoo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi Becky;

I'm NF-2 for many years and have been through about 8 HAs considering I've now lost hearing in 2 ears.
I can attest to them sounding odd and wanting to remove. It could be remembered the brain will take as much as 2 or 3 months to adapt to a setting, so, in a sense, the more the HA is worn, the better.
If your daughter has no HA and good hearing in the other ear, I do see a conflict as one will always compare a side to the other side.
Many have tried either a BAHA, bone anchored hearing aid, to cross sound over sound to the best side, 'Transear', or one of the seemingly inumerable 'Cros', or 'Bi-Cross' HAs which use wi-fi technology.
If I had it to do over, and this is only a personal preference, if I had good hearing in one ear, I'd be content with that rather than putting in an electrical appliance no matter what they say about digital technology and how easy it is ( ESP; For the Audiologist to adjust )?!?
But, of course, you should do what you think and Dr. or audiologist think best.
Best wishes! : )

Russ
Russtoo

Return to General Discussions