Question about C-Section

In response to the many postings dealing with the issues that women face living with NF (e.g., NF and pregnancy, NF and hormone replacement therapy, the effect of birth control pills on NF) we have created this new forum for our users to discuss these and any other issues related to women's issues and NF.

Moderator: Vandaar

Question about C-Section

Postby Amber_88 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:41 am

I plan on having a baby in the next 2 years and i need to ask a auestion. I had a spinal fusion 3 years ago to remove a tumor from my neck. When i deside to have a kiddo will a C section be better for me then to do the natural birth cause of all that metal in my neck, or should i talk to my doctor
Amber_88

Re: Question about C-Section

Postby diera » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:13 pm

I don't have any personal information about this but I was curious and I did some searching around. Most of what I could find about spinal fusions and childbirth had to do with people who had had rods put in for scoliosis. The biggest problem appeared to be not the birth itself, but the ability or lack of it to have an epidural, which can depend on both where exactly the metal was and on the policies/abilities of the particular anesthesiologist. If yours are in your neck it may be OK but it will probably depend on your specifics and on the doctors you wind up with when you get pregnant.

Good luck!
diera

Return to NF and Women's Health