NF and Career

Living with NF can be challenging and many of our BB users have offered their support, guidance and advice on various ways to cope with the emotional, spiritual and physical burdens that NF can sometimes cause.

Moderator: Vandaar

NF and Career

Postby MJA » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:29 am

Welcome nfhindu and Petra,
It was good to read your inspiring stories and how you have coped with NF. Both of you show great courage and strength despite the treatment society has inflicted on you.

My son and I both have NF 1. You can see us by clicking on the link below and then viewing the photos. My son has a plexiform tumor which impairs his vision and hearing. He is also learning disabled and currently goes to a local college where he receives help in his studies.

I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.
MJA

NF and Career

Postby wynne » Wed May 24, 2006 1:43 am

i remember when I was a teen looking for work - no one would hire me even though they had help wanted signs in the windows. I was always told we are not hiring now. Mcdonalds was one of these places! I know that as an adult, I have been denied jobs.I work two jobs now, one a family friend helped me get. The other is an announcer for a radio station so no one has to actually see me.
Makes it tough when I so want to advance in the job market and not have to live paycheck to paycheck.

<small>[ June 02, 2006, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: wynne ]</small>
wynne

NF and Career

Postby ladyrasmus » Sun May 28, 2006 5:12 pm

only if we could prove we didnt get hired because of the " way we look " ,..... becaue of the nf .. ! thats decrimination !! PERIOD END OF QUESTION !!
ladyrasmus

NF and Career

Postby Petra » Mon May 29, 2006 12:06 am

its almost impossible to prove discrimination at interview/job application level - which stinks... the law governing discrimination really should include more details...
Petra

NF and Career

Postby LILBITTYCUTEKITTEN » Mon May 29, 2006 7:42 pm

I have had many many jobs in the last few years but the NF, and now with the Fibromyaligia has made it so I have to go on SSDI which I am not happy about but wish I had done years ago. I have a sever LD and ADD/ADHD suffer from Double Depression, and a few other things. I would like to work, but I just am not able to do anymore.
LILBITTYCUTEKITTEN

Re: NF and Career

Postby Brandy Hinrichs » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:52 am

I don't have NF myself, but my daughter does....still, since having her, I specifically chose to pursue education and employment in the medical field, mainly so that I could begin to understand more of how NF works. I became a Medical Assistant, now I am in nursing school. I work in a dermatology office and have been able to meet one patient who has NF. Whenever I have had to do any kind of report for school- I try to incorporate an area of NF into it...for example I did an oral report in my Medical Terminology class on NF, and a paper in my microbiology class on gene therapy in relation to NF.....I almost wish I had pursued more bio or chemistry, where I could work on research to find a cure. Anyway, even though I don't have NF, it has definitely influenced the career I have chosen.
Mom to Acacia (17) NF1, love of my life
Brandy Hinrichs

Test, just a test

Postby XRumerTest » Fri May 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Hello. And Bye.
XRumerTest

Previous

Return to Coping with NF