Does NF effect different races differently?

Living with NF can be challenging and many of our BB users have offered their support, guidance and advice on various ways to cope with the emotional, spiritual and physical burdens that NF can sometimes cause.

Moderator: Vandaar

Postby leahb » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:25 pm

I was wondering if NF effects difference races different. My mother told me, that I doctor told her that NF doesn't affect black people? I found this hard to believe, but it made me wonder if this was true or not.
And if it is true, what would happen if a person who has NF had a child with a black person, would that baby not have NF?
I always thought that NF effected every kind of person regradless of their culture background or race, but if somebody could tell me if this is true or not would be great!
leahb

Postby Birdbrain » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:10 pm

No black people get as well as white. I had a very good friend who was black. She had NF.
Birdbrain

Postby Nicole Washingtong » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:43 am

I am a black person and me and 7 other members of my family have nf1.
Nicole Washingtong

Postby Kitty Lover » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:48 pm

I've only met one black person with NF. But that is because I grew up in a suburb of Cleveland's west-side - a largely white population.

The person I met with NF worked at a bank located in downtown Cleveland. We worked together.

I think alot of it has to do with our geographic location - meaning how we perceive how NF affects different races. So it could possibly seem like a black person having NF would be rare, depending on your geographic location. That could be said for basically any race.

But I do wonder if there is a tendancy for NF occuring more in Black and/or White people as opposed to people of Native American, Eastern Indian, Asian, Polynisian(sp?) people.

The world is predominantly made up of Caucasions, people of African descent, and Hispanics (please correct me if I'm wrong). But for the other races, I wonder what the percentages are for the occurence of NF within the other races.

<small>[ October 25, 2004, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Kitty Lover ]</small>
Kitty Lover

Return to Coping with NF