ABI or cochlear implants

Moderator: Vandaar

ABI or cochlear implants

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 10, 1999 2:58 pm

Randy, my nephew, is deaf in his right ear. He just received a hearing aid for the left and it isn't really giving him any help at all. He can't understand spoken words. The neuro otologist said that he may be a candidate for cochlear implants. I would like to hear about any experiences with either device. rhandidenean@iVillage.com

Thanx

rhandi

------------------

ABI or cochlear implants

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 29, 1999 6:15 pm

I am deaf in my left ear and I have been told
that by having Nf2 that Iwould not be a cand-
idate for a Cochlear Implant because having
Acoustic Neuromas . There is no clear path for the implant to be effective. However, I
checked with my Boston Doctors and I also called the house Ear Institute in California
and I would be a good candidate for an
Auditory Brain Stem Implant.

ABI or cochlear implants

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2000 12:27 am

Dear Rhandi,
My name is emily you may remember replying to my anyone out there message. Thank-you very much for your message. I am going to see a surgeon tomorrow to dicuss the possibilities of a cholear implant. do you know somone who has had one? What are the possibilities of things going wrong eg(permanent deafness) please write back

------------------

ABI or cochlear implants

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2000 12:27 am

Dear Rhandi,
My name is emily you may remember replying to my anyone out there message. Thank-you very much for your message. In mid march I am going in for surgery. I am having a tumor removed on the left as it is now 2.5cm. And it may effect the brain if it isnt removed. Wow I've gone from knowing very little about NF and related things to quite alot in a very short time. Mt mum and other people in my family are alot more emotional and seem to be worrying alot more about me than I am. Oh well I guess thats just the way i react to things. Anyway I'd love to hear from anyone who wants to talk.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Treacy (edited 01-25-100).]

ABI or cochlear implants

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2000 8:42 am

Maybe your nephew could get a cross hearing aid, it's designed for people who are completly deaf in one ear and a little deaf in the other. It transports sound from the other ear and sends it the other one so you can pick up things on either side of you. It's worth a try I'll probably get one after my surgery.

ABI or cochlear implants

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 29, 2000 8:13 pm

Treacy,
Thank you for responding. I only wish that were possible. Randy has had surgery to both sides. He has had all of the hearing nerve removed from one side and most of the other one removed. He is totally deaf.
If anyone else out there has had the ABI surgery, I would love to hear from you!

Good Luck E

P

ABI or cochlear implants

Postby Sabrina Emmerling » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:31 am

Hello,

I was 21 when I lost hearing cause of bilateral acoustic neuromas. I was told there would be possibility to implant an Cochlear Implant, not an ABI.
The surgery was done and the Implant works very good since 1993.
I come from Germany and here there are very few patients suffering NF2 and having a Cochlear Implant.
I would be happy if You could tell me about Your Experiences with Cochlear Implant and send me an email

sabrina.emmerling@ginko.de

Thanks

Sabrina
Sabrina Emmerling

Re: ABI or cochlear implants

Postby Dreamer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:48 am

Guest wrote:I am deaf in my left ear and I have been told
that by having Nf2 that Iwould not be a cand-
idate for a Cochlear Implant because having
Acoustic Neuromas . There is no clear path for the implant to be effective. However, I
checked with my Boston Doctors and I also called the house Ear Institute in California
and I would be a good candidate for an
Auditory Brain Stem Implant.

Same . SOON THOUGH :shock:

Not ther California bit :( I live in England , but yeah , the A.B.I I am getting
Dreamer

Return to Auditory Brainstem Implants